I purchased my home before getting married, is my wife entitled to any ownership interestas part of our divorce?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I purchased my home before getting married, is my wife entitled to any ownership interestas part of our divorce?

Married 18 months. We do not have biological kids together but she has kids. Am I required to pay child support and provide some residency for her and the kids until she can find somewhere to live?

Asked on November 12, 2010 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your situation.  Generally speaking, the courts will determine which assets are martial assets and which are separate assets before distributing them equitably during the divorce.  Property acquired prior to marriage is considered separate property. SInce it has been the "marital home" however, the courts may not put them out on the street just yet.  As for the child support, it is unlikely unless you have been doing so and their natural Father does not.  The court sometimes orders it so as to prevent children form going on welfare or any such government program.  But the duration of your marriage was so short that I doubt it will happen.  I would double check all this with an attorney in your state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption