If I purchased a wedding dress from a bridal store but it arrived damaged, am I obligated to accept a replacement or get a refund?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I purchased a wedding dress from a bridal store but it arrived damaged, am I obligated to accept a replacement or get a refund?

The dress arrived damaged. I paid a 50% deposit for the dress. The purchase order stated “no refunds, returns, or exchanges”. They offered to replace the dress. Am I obligated to take the replacement or can I get my money back?

Asked on February 23, 2012 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should be able to get a refund (though they can certainly offer you a replacement instead and see if you'll accept). Even when a purchase order states "no refunds, returns, or exchanges," that does not apply when you are provided either the wrong item or broken/defective item; that policy means that in the absence of a significant problem with the order, you cannot voluntarily choose to return, etc., it. However, you are not required by the law to accept a nonconforming item; since the dress was nonconforming (damaged) you should be able to cancel and receive your money back if you chose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption