What to do if I purchased a home approximately 6 months ago and am now having plumbing issues?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I purchased a home approximately 6 months ago and am now having plumbing issues?

My plumbing is backing up into the drains in the house. The property was sold as an estate and therefore the issue with the plumbing was not disclosed at the point of sale. Since in was sold as an estate, who’s responsible to fix the promblem? I don’t think this problem developed within the 6 months I’ve owned the property. This is a problem that was already there when I purchased the home. I have gotten an estimate to fix it – almost $7,000.

Asked on December 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The seller would be responsible only if the seller knew of the problem and failed to disclose it to you. A seller of real estate is not an insurer; the seller is not liable for all problems that pre-date the sale, but only those of which the seller was aware and, being aware, did not disclose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption