I purchased a custom crate engine and it had several issues which cost me a few hundred dollars

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I purchased a custom crate engine and it had several issues which cost me a few hundred dollars

I purchased a 600hp crate engine and I ended up having to get the a couple of parts swapped for the correct parts and it cost me approx. 1800. Do I have a small claims case?

Asked on June 24, 2019 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may have a case if you can show that the person you bought it from was negligent or careless in any way: used bad or the wrong parts, installed them incorrectly or damaged them during installation, etc. Note that the fact that you ended up swapping out parts by itself does not prove the seller was liable: the parts could have been damaged later, after he finished your work, or they have been adequate and you may have either chosen to upgrade voluntarily to better parts, or else misunderstood what was needed and changed out parts unnecessarily. You would need a relevant "expert"--someone like an engine rebuilder or mechanic familiar with this type of engine--who can testify in court that he/she examined the engine and in his/her experienced and trained opinion, believes the wrong parts were used. You'd likely have to pay such a person for their time to examine your engine and appear in court, so factor that cost into whether it is worth suing. The issue is, if you are a layperson, the court will not credit your testimony about had to be done; you need someone with the right job experience and training to testify as to the issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption