What to do if I purchased a computer from an internet computer sales website but it never worked even after sending it back for repair?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I purchased a computer from an internet computer sales website but it never worked even after sending it back for repair?

I purchased a computer for $2000$ from a internet computer sales website. it never worked and after sending it back for repair repeatedly. I asked to send it back for a refund and they said I could do that after they tried everything they could to fix it. They held it at their facility and “repaired” it until the time it says on their policy ran up and then I was told that I was not eligible for a refund. Presently they have had the computer at their facility for several months and have never given me a refund and do not intend to. What steps do I need to take to take this to court? hich state would I be taking it to court in – mine or the state that the online company is based from?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under General Practice, Montana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Merchants must provide you with merchantable--i.e. not defective--products; if they fail to do so, you are entitled to a refund. You should be able to file the lawsuit in your own court--it should have jurisdiction, since the injured consumer lives there. That being the case, it would most likely be better to sue in your own court--the costs and the difficulty will be lower. If you win the lawsuit, you can then enforce the judgment in the other state (every state will honor every other state's judgments) if the seller will not pay voluntarily. You should be able to find instructions and sample forms from your court, either in person or online.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption