If I paid for my stepdaughter’s dorm for college, isshe legally obligated to pay me back?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I paid for my stepdaughter’s dorm for college, isshe legally obligated to pay me back?

She verbally mentioned that she would pay me back after she graduates if she can afford to. There is nothing in writing and the only person who heard her say this was her father/my husband.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about, there is an issue concerning your stepdaughter's verbal agreement to pay you back for her college dorm after she graduates IF she can afford to do so. The issues that I see is when the payment would be made, what does "afford" mean and you having the burden of proving her obligation to pay you back.

Another hurdle for you is that parents many times pay for their children's expenses in college, even stepchildren. I recommend getting some agreement signed by your stepdaughter about payback for the expenses you fronted for her.

From what you have written, I do not see any obligation by the stepdaughter to pay you back that is legally binding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption