I paid for burial places for myself and 3 sons. Is that money mine or theirs.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I paid for burial places for myself and 3 sons. Is that money mine or theirs.

I purchased burial places for myself and three sons. One son has moved away and wants the money for his spot. Who owns that moneymyself, or my son.

Asked on April 22, 2019 under Business Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Who owns the spot--that, not who paid for it, is what matters. If you are the owner of that burial place, so that it is held/owned in your name, then even if you bought it for your son's benefit or use, he is not entitled to the money for it, since it's not his property.
On the other hand, if it's held or owned in his name, so that he, not you controls it and determines what to do with it, then the money for the place is his, not yours. Regardless of fairness, the owner of something, including a burial place, is entitled to any money for or from it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption