What are my obigations id I paid a traffic ticket 14 years ago but the state to which it was paid says I still owe?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my obigations id I paid a traffic ticket 14 years ago but the state to which it was paid says I still owe?

The matter was turned over to a collections agency. I have no other debts or financial concerns. I’m able to pay the ticket, but I’ve heard that doing so can stay on credit reports for seven years. I’ve also heard that, because the ticket is so old, there is no obligation to pay it now. If that’s so, what should I do?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to a 14 year old ticket which you paid but the governmental entity states that you did not, my opinion is that the claim for money is time barred under your state's sttaute of limitations with respect to the traffic ticket regardless if you paid it or not.

It is your choice to pay a ticket again where the claim for money seems to be time barred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption