What are my rights if I owned my own home before I married my currently illegal husband?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I owned my own home before I married my currently illegal husband?

I have refinanced since while were married through an FHA loan but they waived him having to be present for his signature during the closing for refinance meeting. If we were to ever divorce (either before he is legal or even after he becomes legal) would he have rights to any part of the money from the sold property?

Asked on October 19, 2014 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What needs to be determined is if the house is considered your separate property or now it is considered marital property.  The general rule is that property owned prior to marriage is separate but sometimes there is a transmutation of property: cash deposited in to joint accounts, names added to deeds of houses and lived in as the marital home, etc.  But understand that not just living in the home makes it marital. I would speak with a lawyer in your area about what the law requires to convert this property from separate to marital.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption