If I own an online business, may come to the U.S. on an F2 visa, will I still be able to keep the business running?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own an online business, may come to the U.S. on an F2 visa, will I still be able to keep the business running?

The business is an app software development in app stores and google play stores. Also, a couple of online tutorial sites and some eBay/Amazon stores. How will these qualify under the immigration laws?

Asked on February 4, 2017 under Immigration Law, Indiana


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have employment authorization in the US or an immigration status that allows employment, you  may own and operate a business in the US but you cannot receive any income for your work.  It must be reinvested or kept in the company account.  I'm not sure what specific visa you are talking about (F-2 is for a dependent of an F-1 international student)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption