Do have any recourse regarding a refund if a company is filing for bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do have any recourse regarding a refund if a company is filing for bankruptcy?

I own a small business and we recently paid a manufacturer (knitting company) in another state to knit some products for us. The products were not finished (nor knit to the standards described by their company or produced during sample production). When we requested a partial refund we were told they are going bankrupt and cannot offer any sort of refund. They then sent us a batch of unfinished goods. Do we have any recourse?

Asked on November 29, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You certainly can try filing a lawsuit against them, but be advised that if they have or do file for bankruptcy, your case will be dismissed, all other collections efforts stayed, and the only compensation you will get (if any) will be what other unsecured creditors get through the bankruptcy process--which may be (if anything) from pennies to dimes on the dollar. Even if they don't actually file for bankruptcy, if the company is an LLC or corporation and is insovlvent (less income and assets than its debts), you are unlikely to recover your money. It may not be worthwhile to take action. (If it's not an LLC or corporation, you can try suing the owner[s] personally.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption