What to do about a copyright infringement?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a copyright infringement?

I own a small business and recently had a local student, at the behest of their instructor, build a website for my company. The website was acceptable, so I paid her $1,000 for her services (all of the work, and communications took place within the school). The school is a technology cente, and the student was an adult at the time. The only contract was an oral agreement between the parties. My company is now being threatened with legal action if I do not pay $1,400 in damages for copyright violations for a photograph on the website. While I know we are responsible for our website, and the material that goes on it, do we not at least share responsibility with our web designer? Who should pay?

Asked on August 5, 2013 under Business Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I can not tell if the student did this project under the guidance of the school and under their guidance as well. But regardless I would take that approach tot he matter and go to the school with the issue to be resolved.  Let them know in no uncertain terms that you do not intend to pay the money or fight this suit with out their help and monetary contribution.  See where that goes.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption