If I own a piece of property with my 2 siblings and my brother and I want to sell but my sister does not, what can we do?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a piece of property with my 2 siblings and my brother and I want to sell but my sister does not, what can we do?

She wants to build a house on the property; my brother and I want to sell. Is there a way to preemptively put a cease and desist order on the property? If so, do I need to hire an attorney?

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as this, the law provides a remedy called ""partition". When a partition action is filed, the property in question will be divided if it's practical to do so. If not, then the court will order a sale at fair market value with the proceeds equitably split. However, any owner who wishes to keep the property is given the first right of refusal (meaning it will be offered to them first before being put on the market).

At this point, you should  consult directly with a real estate attorney on this; they can best advicse you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption