If I own a home with my ex-boyfirend, can I force him to pay half of the taxes and insurance?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a home with my ex-boyfirend, can I force him to pay half of the taxes and insurance?

His name is on the deed only, not on the note. He agreed to pay half the taxes and insurnace and now wants to sign a QCD when he originally refused. He also wants me to pay the recording fees. The house is upside down so there is no equity split to consider. Can I take him to small claims court to own up to his share?

Asked on January 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

So you are paying the mortgage yourself?  Yes, you should indeed try and get him to pay half of the bills for the property itself, but doesn't your bank pay that through the escrow account?  Find out.  I think that you should seek to speak with a real estate attorney in the area as well as a financial adviser.  If you think that you could swing the entire thing on your own - and it seems that you are already - and you can wait it out for the market to change, then consider having him quit claim the property to you.  But also make sure that an attorney draws up some agreement relating to it where he relinquishes his rights to the property.  You may win in the end.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption