What can I do about my lost income if a methadone clinic moved in next to my business?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about my lost income if a methadone clinic moved in next to my business?

I own a consignment shop at same location for 12 years. It was a very successful business until a methodone clinic opened beside us. Now I have had several customers who have stated they will not coome back due to the clinic. My business has decreased significanly. Just this week three people came in high as a kite. I feared one of the youg men was going to rob me. I called the local sheriff’s office now the owners of the building are saying i need to leave do I have a case to seek compensation for lost income?

Asked on April 26, 2015 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you do *not* have a case for compensation for lost income: you cannot sue another person for doing something which is legal and permitted, even if it has a negative impact on your own business or livilihood. So just like you could not sue another consignment shop for opening up nearby and taking some of your business, you can't sue a legal methadone clinic for driving off some of your customers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption