What to do if I own a consignment shop and took in several items from a consignor that are allegedly stolen?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I own a consignment shop and took in several items from a consignor that are allegedly stolen?

After the items were on the sales floor, 2 younger girls came in taking pictures and asking questions. The following day, the girls mother came in and stated that our consignor had stolen the items from her daughter’s. We pulled the items from the floor and will no longer take consignments from the woman accused of theft. The mother sent us a certified letter stating we had to reply within 10 days or she would go to the police. We have not replied and still have the items in question in our possession.

Asked on December 18, 2013 under Business Law, Massachusetts


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Take her up on it - the Police are the ONLY way to go.  At the moment, you don't know for sure who is trying to scam you - the consignor or Mom/Daughter.  You shouldn't have to guess.  If the police claim it as stolen property, fine, you are covered.  If they give the property a clean bill of health so to speak, continue to offer it for sale.  Just DO NOT just turn it over to Mom on her word or you may be unwittingly helping to steal, or at least defraud, the true owner.  Dealing with the police doesn't hurt you (assuming you are innocent of wrong-doing here of course) and could protect you.  Make it their problem to determine who the lawful owner is instead of it being your's.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption