What to do if I own a company that I opened with my business “partner” and now, after 3 months, want to end the relationship?

UPDATED: May 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I own a company that I opened with my business “partner” and now, after 3 months, want to end the relationship?

I am feeling that it is not a healthy business relationship but the company is doing very well. Her name is not on any aspect of the business. The office, bank account, online store, and every tax document are all in my name. She also did not come in with any money and I came in with loans from my family and money from my personal savings. I plan to have the discussion with her that it simply is not working tomorrow and expect her to be angry. My question is this…does she have any grounds for legal recourse?

Asked on May 12, 2014 under Business Law, California


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a written partnership agreement? If so, that document will control the initial steps in the process. If there is no written partnership agreement, then you will want to briefly discuss with your partner the possibilities of a mediation process to help resolve the issues...then go from there.

Shawn Jackson California Business Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption