If I own a bar that was shut down early on New Years Eve by the Police for incidents that never happened, can I sue the city?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a bar that was shut down early on New Years Eve by the Police for incidents that never happened, can I sue the city?

At approximately 1 am, the police observed 2 people arguing behind my bar with myself observing. The police then informed me that I was to close my business for the night. A little confused, I complied. In the next town newspaper, it quoted the police as saying my bar was closed because of fights. I have video security footage, as well as 15 witnesses (and counting), that no fights occurred at the bar. This is not the first time this has occurred. What remedy do I have available to me?

Asked on January 13, 2011 under Business Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

So what you are claiming is that you were defamed in some form by the statement.  The only problem is that generally speaking the police and their officers can have immunity in these type of situation for the statements made.  What you are saying is that the statements are wholly untrue.  I would seek consultation n your are but in the meantime have you verified that this is what was said and then called and asked that a statement be made retracting the statement as untrue?  I would try that.  I can understand how you may feel in this situation and that the statement has given your bar a bad name in your eyes.  See what can be done.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption