If I owe restitution to a corparation that was sold and no longer exists, doI have to continue paying?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I owe restitution to a corparation that was sold and no longer exists, doI have to continue paying?

If so, to whom?

Asked on January 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have to continue paying because I am pretty sure that paying restitution was a condition of your sentence and probation, correct?  If you fail to continue to pay then your probation could be revoked. One would have to read your conditions of probation here in order to figure out how to proceed.  They state that you have to pay the corporation directly?  It does not state that you have to pay the funds in to court and that the court will pay the corporation?  Check with an attorney in your area or your probation officer if applicable on how to proceed from here. You may have to make a motion to request to pay the fund in to court to protect yourself. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption