I owe money to the IRS and they are calling excessively. What can I do?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) contracts with private collection agencies to assist in collecting unpaid taxes. These collection agencies attempt to collect unpaid taxes on behalf of the IRS by contacting taxpayers at home or work.

If you would like to stop receiving calls at home or work, you will need to submit a request in writing to the collection agency that you no longer want to work with the assigned collection agency to handle your unpaid taxes. Even if the collection agency stops contacting you, it does not mean that the IRS will not continue its efforts to collect any unpaid taxes from you. By law, the IRS has 10 years from the date the original tax liability was assessed to continue collection activities. The IRS has the legal authority to contact third parties, such as neighbors, banks, employers, or employees to investigate your case.

It is best to contact the IRS directly and work with them to enter into a payment arrangement. Although it may seem intimidating and difficult to speak with the IRS regarding unpaid taxes, it is highly recommended that you get in contact with the IRS to explain any difficulties that you may be having in paying your taxes. If you can afford professional representation, contact a reputable accountant or attorney to represent you and to negotiate with the IRS on your behalf. If you can not afford to hire a tax professional to assist you, the best option is to contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service, which is an independent organization within the IRS. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is available to help taxpayers resolve tax problems if they are experiencing economic hardship. This is a free service that is available to individuals and businesses.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service can be contacted by calling 1 (877) 777- 4778. No matter what your situation is, it is highly recommended that you get in touch with the IRS to resolve unpaid tax issues as soon as possible. If you ignore the IRS and their attempts to contact you are unsuccessful, the IRS will then begin much more severe collection actions against you, such as putting liens on your property, garnishing your wages, or levying your bank accounts.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption