What to do if I owe $19k in child support?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I owe $19k in child support?

I was in jail for a week because I didn’t go to court; I was not served because I had moved so the judge let me go at my bail review hearing. I go to court next week and I would like to know what would happen? I have been trying to search for a job and I’m in college getting my Bachelors degree but I am on public assistance, I have 3 kids to take care of in my home. I’m willing to pay payments on the arrears with the help of my husband until I get a job. Should I tell the courts this or what should I say?

Asked on December 3, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your matter where you would agreement to a monthly amount that you can afford in order to slowly whittle down the the $19,000 that you owe via a stipulation and order with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption