What to do if I ordered parts for my car on-line from a company almost 5 months ago and have still not recieved the parts?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I ordered parts for my car on-line from a company almost 5 months ago and have still not recieved the parts?

I have several e-mails from them, each pretty much adding another month on the expected delivery date and telling me to await a response from them. I called them in mid-month last month and was told the manufacturer was working on the last part. The kit was on backorder. Now it is after the latest expected delivery date and again I am getting the same response from the company.

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Business Law, Indiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like this is either a very poorly run company or you're being scammed.  Let them know that you want to cancel the order.  If you have already paid for the part, demand a refund.

If you have not paid for the parts yet, then cancel the order.  If they have a check or credit card number, but have not yet billed for the part, also talk to your bank or credit card company about a stop payment on the amount. 

If you have already paid by credit card, but they are refusing to refund the amounts, still contact your credit card company for their dispute procedures.  Some will allow you to dispute the charges and refund your account.  You also need to do some research on the company.  Check with the BBB to see how many complaints have been lodged against this company.

If they still will not refund your money, you may want to consider contacting your local law enforcement.  Some will pursue theft by deception charges if it appears the company is an internet scam.  If they refuse the charges, you will be left with filing a civil suit on your own or filing a complaint with your state's attorney general office.

The hard part about going after an online company criminal or civilly is often figuring out who they really are.  Many offbeat internet companies, unfortunately, take advantage of people.  This doesn't mean that it's impossible-- it just means that you may have to utilize multiple options, like those listed above, to get any relief.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption