If I need to send an eviction notice, what information needs to be in it?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I need to send an eviction notice, what information needs to be in it?

I had a verbal agreement with the family living in my deceased mother’s home that they would buy the property from me after they moved in. They recently notified me that they are unable to pay for the home – this is after 2 years of rent-free occupancy. I want the family to vacate the premises so that I can sell the property to another buyer. I understand that I must give them 30 days notice before I can get a court-ordered eviction notice delivered. I want the property to be left in undamaged condition. What information needs to be in the notice to protect my rights?

Asked on March 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Typically, a Notice to Vacate must be dated the date that it is given, list the property address, the name of the landlord, the name(s) of the tenant(s), the timeframe in which the rental property should become vacant, the reason for giving notice, and should be signed by the person delivering it.  Additionally, you can contact the local court to see what if, if any, forms that it may have for this. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption