If I need to open a business bank account in another state, can I give my father power of attorney?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I need to open a business bank account in another state, can I give my father power of attorney?

I need to open a business bank account and I want to do this without returning to the state in question. Can I give my father, who lives there, power of attorney to open the bank account in my name for my business? How would I write this document or are there free templates? How would I phrase it?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you need to open a bank account in another state and cannot do so via the telephone, e mail or facsimile, you can sign a power of attorney designating your father as your agent in fact to do so.

I recommend that you have an attorney draft such a document but, there are online forms that you can find as a template for such. Likewise you can go down to your local county law library and view templates for the needed power of attorney. The librarian can assist you in this endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption