What to do if I need to make modifications to my original separation agreement from 7 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need to make modifications to my original separation agreement from 7 years ago?

I need to make modifications to my original separation agreement from 7 years ago. I also have 3 contempt charges filed against my exhusband. I have also been through three different lawyers over the years. I need a lawyer that is agressive and knows the law and doesn’t underestimate my ex and his sneaky ways/anger/temper. What is the best way to find that elusive lawyer?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and find a lawyer to suit your specific needs is to interview as many as possible to see if there is a comfort level on both ends. It is just as important in choosing a lawyer to represent a party as one picks a doctor or dentist.

Options are referrals by work of mouth, county bar association and online reviews of attorneys in the specific area of practice that you desire.

As to modifications of a dissolution agreement, if your "ex" will not stipulate to such, your option is to file a petition with the court seeking the relief you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption