How do I find out if my husband filed for a divorce?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out if my husband filed for a divorce?

I no longer believe that he filed. Can I ask him to leave if only my name is on an apartment lease?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you know in which court the divorce may have been filed, you can go to that court and look in the court's computer.  Look for either your husband's name under petitioner or your name under respondent.  If the case was filed, it will be there.  Once you find the case, it will show the case number.  After obtaining the case number, give the case number to the court clerk and ask the court clerk to see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or those sections of the file you want.

As for the lease, if your husband is not on the lease, you can ask him to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption