I need to know what to do about a Chapter 7 in which I gave back the house but the city is going after me for code violations?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know what to do about a Chapter 7 in which I gave back the house but the city is going after me for code violations?

I need to know what I must do to get the house that I gave back out of my name; I don’t even live in that state anymore. I lost my job and could not pay for the house or repairs and upkeep. I never knew that the city would be coming after me for any code violations etc. When I started having the problems with the city I called my former bankruptcy attorney and she said that the bank has up to 6 months from the time of the discharge to put it up for sheriff’s sale or do whatever they were going to do with the house. I went on-line the other day and found out that the house was already up for sale.

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are technically responsible for the code violations until the title to the house transfers, either to the lender or a third party.

Since you were unaware of the violations, I assume that the city was never informed of the bankruptcy.  Technically, you can not discharge civil or criminal penalties.  However, in my practice, I have found that be sending notice of the bankruptcy to the city will cease collection efforts.  Whether it helps your credit report is a different matter.

The fact that you are out of state and no longer residing there is irrelevant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption