I need to know my rights

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know my rights

My husband left me and has filed for divorce. I need to know my rights and what I can do in my situation. I have many health problems and have for years. I am unemployed, he has a full time job. He has been taking care of the bills so far. I get 40 a week for an allowance. I have gone without medications, medical treatment and havent been able to get various necessities personal hygiene and etc. I have no income and I havent since I was taken out of work due to my health in 2014. I am in the middle of a disability case and I’m waiting for a hearing or a decision. We have had our ups and downs but it was a surprise that when I got home from visiting my mom that day in may 2017. He already had a place to live and moved only part of his belongings. He claims he moved in with ‘a buddy from work’. I have no idea where he moved or who he moved in with. And his stories change all the time. It seems that ALL things point to him cheating and there being someone else involved. Of course, he always denies it. I have pictures of various things he was trying to hide from me in the house before he moved out. I have asked him for a reason and he says ‘because he was miserable’ and the rest always changes. I really need to know my rights, what is going to happen, and any help I may need. If alienation of affection is something I can peruse against whoever this other person is. Weve been married for 7 years as of April 9th, 2011. Weve been together a total of 13 years as of July 20th, 2018.
Thats just a brief description. I can give a lot more information and more details to whomever may need it. Please help me, I am so lost.

Asked on July 16, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have the right to receive alimony (spousal support) for a number of years--possibly for many years. When one spouse supported the other, and the other was financially dependent on her spouse, the dependent spouse will get  support.
You have the right to receive a fair share of all marital assets--any money earned and anything acquired during marriage. 
You may be able to get him to pay your cost of health/medical insurance.
You can likely get an order on an "emergent" (urgent or emergency) basis when you file for divorce, requiring him to support you while the divorce case goes on.
Your state, unlike many, does allow "alienation of affection" lawsuits, so you may be able to sue anyone with whom he had an affair while you married.
So you do have meaningful rights--consult with a family or divorce law attorney about taking action to protect them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption