I need to know IF I have a discrimination suit against my previous employer.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know IF I have a discrimination suit against my previous employer.

I am a 40 male. I was hired on with 2 twenty year old males. In a short time my previous employer promoted the 2 twenty year olds to a higher pay and extra training that I had on numerous times had expressed intrest in. My then employer kept giving me the run around on why they didn’t give me the position. What are my RIGHTS? This employer is in Alabama.

Asked on April 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The issue or question is, is there some reason other than age for this action? If there is, it is legal--being 40 or older doesn't protect you from being treated worse than younger employees for valid reasons, only against being treated worse due to age. So if the 20 year olds have been at the company longer, have education, degrees, credentials, or experience you lack, or have better performance reviews, they can be treated better than you. On the other hand, if there is no non-age reason for the difference in treatment, you may have an age discrimination case and should contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or EEOC to discuss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption