Do I have a case on a verbal contract?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case on a verbal contract?

My apartment lease ended last month. I turned in my intent to leave in November and cited the rate increases (rent increase by $150/month, a new water charge of $35 and a renter’s insurance requirement) as my reason. To get me to stay, over the phone they offered to only increase my rent by $50/month and told me that I wouldn’t have to pay the new water charge for about a year. Today she told me that I had to pay the water fee. When I reminded her about our conversation, she basically denied saying any of it. What if anything can I do about it? The only reason I stayed was of because I wouldn’t have to pay water and higher rent.

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a lease needs to be in writing unless there is part performance on one's part to take the agreement out of the written requirement. From what you have written you have done so. The option is to pay what you agreed to and wait to see of the landlord sues you for the difference or pay the full amount and you sue the landlord for the difference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption