If I dropped off a prescription for a friend and then went to pick it up but found out it was “fake”, am I responsible?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I dropped off a prescription for a friend and then went to pick it up but found out it was “fake”, am I responsible?

I had no idea what I was getting into when I was asked to do this. It is not in my name, however I cannot prove who did it. They questioned me for 2 hours (the police) but they did not arrest me. It was not for a narcotic but apparently was for a muscle relaxer. I need to know if I should hire an attorney. Also I need to know if my daughter’s friend who gave it to me will be in big trouble. How far will they take this for this type of fraud.

Asked on November 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can be charged criminally if there is probable cause to believe you knowingly made or passed a false prescription. It would be a defense in court to argue that you had no knowledge the prescription was fake.  An element of the offense is intent.


You should consult with a criminal defense lawyer immediately. 


Maury D. Beaulier

(612) 240-8005

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption