Can are HIPPA laws broken?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can are HIPPA laws broken?

My son went into a store that I work at. He saw a girl who worked there and thought she was cute. He’s 31; she’s 18. He talked to her, looked her up on facebook and they chatted. He went into the store again and talked to her. Nothing inappropriate. Then the store manager later called me into a meeting and told me that my son was no longer allowed in the store. He said the girl felt uncomfortable. It was because someone at work that ran to the girl and told her that my son was schizophrenic. It is common knowledge but did they have a right to disclose this to her?

Asked on November 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

HIPPA only applies to an individual who, or a company that, regularly works with patients and stores medical information. These places include hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, pharmacies and individual doctors, as well as healthcare provider. Since you did not mention any of the above, Iassume that you do not work as such a place. Therefore HIPPA does not apply. Additionally, you have aready mentioned that your son does suffer from schizophrenia and it;s common knoweldge, so you can't even sue for defamation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption