How can I evict my tenant if I have misplaced their written lease?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I evict my tenant if I have misplaced their written lease?

I have a property nd have to evict the 3 roommates that are there due to non-payment of rent. I have somehow managed to misplace their written lease. Can and how do I evict the tenants since I have to provide a copy of the lease when I serve them and mark it as an exhibit?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will need to provide an affidavit to the court when you begin the process to show you had a lease at one point, misplaced it and provide proof of lease through proof of payment and other forms of written documentation. Do you have emails and cashed checks? If so, provide copies of those emails and cancelled checks, especially if the checks have lease payment or rent payment on the memo line.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption