What should I do if I need to correct a mistake made during a green card interview?

UPDATED: May 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I need to correct a mistake made during a green card interview?

About an arrest, I had a resolution of “no charges filed” but I answered by mistake that the resolution was “case dismissed”. I don’t want this mistake to be kept on my application. That’s really important to me. Which one should I do, and what are the consequence? Option A: Submit a clear letter asking to correct the mistake, and attach the court disposition (original or copy?). Option B: Make an appointment through INFOPASS and ask to speak with the immigration officer who did the interview, asking her to rectify the mistake. Option C: Withdraw the application and file again.

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you weren't asked to submit additional documentation at the interview, I would not worry about.  Clearly this is not something that would have an impact on whether or not your green card is issued so I probably would not muddy the waters.  If you really want to submit the additional documentation, you can do it through INFOPASS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption