I need to be released from a rental lease agreement

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to be released from a rental lease agreement

I signed a 2 year lease on a house and I want to get out of the lease. Would I still be liable for the remaining months of the rent? My vehicle was broken into with a filed police report, which makes us uncomfortable. There are also marital issues which now makes living in the same area uncomfortable as well.

Asked on October 27, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In order for you to break your lease early due to criminal activity, there must in some way be fault on your landlord's part. For example, if your apartment complex is supposed to be gated but there is no working gate or there are other tenants who are known to engage in criminal activity and the landlord fails to take action to remedy the situation, etc. In such a case your landlord's failure to correct such a situation could give rise for grounds to terminate your lease. However, if the landlord is providing reasonable security but the neighborhood is in a high crime area, then you can't just end your lease. The fact is that it is up to a tenant to check out the immediate area of where they will be living; a landlord cannot be held liable for the actions of third-party criminals.
Read more: https://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/can-i-brake-my-lease-if-i-136979.htm#ixzz4Obs50XZp Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Follow us: @FreeAdviceNews on Twitter | freeadvice on Facebook

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption