What to do if I need proof that I worked for a company that is no longer in business?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need proof that I worked for a company that is no longer in business?

The company I worked for was taking taxes out of my paycheck, paying me with a handwritten check, but never filed me with the IRS or produced W2’s for me. What is my recourse? How can I get a subpoena from the county court to obtain cancelled checks I received as proof? I am currently in need of this proof due to another situation I am involved in.

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may need an attorney to help you get the W-2s or before you go that route, you will need to talk to your bank about obtaining copies of the cancelled checks and using that as a method of estimating your taxes. You will need to talk to the IRS (go with an attorney or talk to your tax advisor or preparer) about what can be done to cross-check records from their end and getting you the correct information. The subpoena is a last ditch effort and you may not need it if you simply get the right people to ask the IRS and bank.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption