What to do if I need a public defender but have been refused one by the court?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need a public defender but have been refused one by the court?

At arraignment (for assault) I said I would seek private counsel. At the first pretrial conference I told the judge i could not afford a lawyer. The probate dept did a worksheet on me and said that I do not qualify for public counsel. I live check to check and cannot borrow the $3000 it will cost for a criminal defense attorney. How can i convince the court that I do need a public counsel. I really believe this case is a simple one and will be either dismissed or continued without a finding, but I dare not represent myself.

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I would actually go to the public defender's office to see if you might directly qualify through it. I would also go down to your local legal aid clinic and county bar association to see if there is a program to assist people in your situation as an alternative to the public defender's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption