What to do about missing appliances that my roommate’s mother bought?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about missing appliances that my roommate’s mother bought?

He borrowed a fridge, AC unit, and stove from his mother for the new house. Shortly after, I was put in the hospital. While I was gone, he moved out without warning. Upon being discharged I also moved out, leaving said appliances there. Now his mother is calling threatening to sue me for taking those items. She said they are no longer at the old house. I don’t have them. They were probably stolen (it is a bad neighborhood) or maybe the landlord took them. I don’t know. Does this woman have any kind of legal ground to stand on? There were no written or verbal agreements between her and I at any point.

Asked on December 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless the mother can prove that you actually took the appliances that you have written about she will have a difficult time establishing any wrongdoing upon your part. I would write the mother advising her that you know nothing as to what she is saying while keeping a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption