How can I prove my citizenship?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I prove my citizenship?

I moved her from Spain with my parents at age 7 and now I am 47. I have a trip planned in 2 months to Jamacia but got denied my passport. They need my green card or proof of citizenship but I don’t have any; my parents don’t have any of that info either since it is not on their green cards or anything. I’m assuming that I was naturalized but how do I find out? How long will this process and is it possible to get all this in order and have my passport within the next 2 months? I own a franchise and have paid taxes for 30 years.

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The first way to try and prove your nationality is to get a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you do not one, then you need to submit your driver's license and your social security card. To see if you were nationalized in this country, contact your local Immigration and Naturalization Department and seek records concerning your parents and yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption