What to do if I missed too many days of community service due to my new job?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I missed too many days of community service due to my new job?

I was told that if I missed too many days, I’d go before the judge. I want to do the service indeed;its not that many hours but I needed the job just as bad.

Asked on March 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The thing to do is to get ahead of the problem and contact the court, explain the issue, propose a solution (that is, propose days or a schedule that you could do community service), and indicate clearly to the court that you intended to honor your obligations, but want the court's assistance in making that work with your new job. It is not guaranteed this will succeed, but reaching out proactively to the court, with a proposed solution, will be much more likely to succeed than waiting until the authorities come after you for violating your obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption