If I missed a court date, what are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I missed a court date, what are my options?

I had a court date 4 months ago for a possession charge that I didn’t find out about until a week ago. I’m assuming I was found guilty but all I’ve received is a notice for a civil suit from the bondsman. I would really like to know what’s going on. Should I speak with a criminal law attoreny? In Dallas, TX.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you probably weren't found guilty.  Criminal cases are different than civil cases.  A civil judgment can be entered against you without you being present.  However, you have to be present at least to pick a jury in a criminal case.  You can only be found guilty if you were in court for the pick of a jury and then ran off after that process started.  With that in mind, you need to get in touch with the bondsman to turn yourself in.  Texas has a "failure to appear" statute, which means that you can be charged with a new offense for not appearing.  If it was an accident, many courts will reinstate your bond if you explain the mix-up and work with your bondsman.  The longer your warrant is outstanding, the more it will look like you are absconding-- which means the less likely a judge will want to reinstate your bond.  If you have an attorney, they can also help you with this process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption