If I missed a court date 6 years ago, got arrested and bonded out, and they sent me a bond forfiture court date, what happens next?

UPDATED: May 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I missed a court date 6 years ago, got arrested and bonded out, and they sent me a bond forfiture court date, what happens next?

Will I go to jail for a Class 4 felony obstruction of justice?

Asked on May 13, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Because your bond was forfeited, there is probably a capias (or warrant) for your arrest.  If you show up for the court, the judge will probably order that you be taken into custody.  He may hold you without bond, or he could set a new, higher bond that you would be required to make.   As an alternative, many defendants try to hire an attorney to resolve the case prior to arriving for the bond hearing.  If they can resolve the case, then the warrant would be recalled.  Resolution of the case would depend on your history and the nature of the offense.  If you are granted probation, you would remain free.  You really need to have a criminal defense attorney review the facts of your case and any possible defenses, like speedy trial, which could be applicable to your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption