I met a 14 year old and we are friends, I’m 19 yeas old is that against the law?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I met a 14 year old and we are friends, I’m 19 yeas old is that against the law?

I met a 14 year old and I’m 19, we are just friends for the time being. His parents
don’t want me to hang with their son? We don’t do anything sexual at all or never
before. His parents recently called the police on me because of the age different,
and he lied about hanging out with me to his parents. The police said they would
get in contact with me at a later date. A police report be made about the age
different and us hanging out. Could I get arrest?

Asked on March 4, 2017 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

While being just friends with this 14 year old may not be illegal, it is highly inadviseable. If things escalate between you and become sexual in nature, then you can be prosecuted for statutory rape, even if the sex is consensual. Further, when the victim is younger than 16, the penalties are more severe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption