If Imarried someone before my divorce was final, what doI do?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Imarried someone before my divorce was final, what doI do?

I married a guy from Holland and he went back home. I called the court house they said they had no record of us marrying so I remarried another man. Now I found out that my first husband and I are still married. What do I do? Am I going to get into alot of trouble? It was an honest mistake.

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay calm down.  I am sure that this is causing you a lot of sleepless nights but you need to get a hold of things and get the matter resolved.  How did you "find out" that you  may still be married?  You need to go to the bureau of vital records where you were married to get a copy of the marriage license. Then you need top bring everything to an attorney to help you get divorced.  Can you locate your "husband" in Holland?  Maybe he divorced you and you did not know it? Your new marriage is not valid.  You need to deal with that too.  It is doubtful that you will be prosecuted for bigamy but you need to get things taken care of.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption