If my husband married me under an a,lias does that make my marriage invaild?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband married me under an a,lias does that make my marriage invaild?

I’m hoping it makes it invalid. My estranged husband married me under and alias. His last name being very very different from the one on his birth certificate and SSN. Does that make out marriage invalid? If so, that would save me a ton of time and heartache. And where would I go to get proof of to being invaild?

Asked on September 27, 2016 under Family Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In such cases, many states allow for the deceived spouse to seek either seek an anullment or treat the marriage as if it were a valid. This is known as the "putative spouse doctrine" and provides certain rights/protections for a wife or husband who was led to believe that they entered into a valid marriage. If the wronged spouse seeks a divorce, they would have possible rights to property and spousal support. However, if the spouse who did the deceiving is trying to seek a divorce under the claim of an invalid marriage, the judge may invoke the legal principle of "estoppel" to prevent them from benefiting from property division and/or support. That having been said, if the deceived spouse discovered the fraud but continued to live as a legally married couple for several years after, the courts may set aside the request for an annulment and treat the marriage as valid. The parties would then have to pursue a divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption