What are my rights regarding unreturned property?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding unreturned property?

I mailed a plasma TV valued over $600 over a year ago at a mail drop store. The item was damaged so it was returned it to the store; I have the receipt showing that it was received back. However, the store never called me to come and pick up the returned packaged; I have contacted them serveral times requesting it back. They re-take and copy all of the information and tell me they will contact me but never do. I wrote a letter to the CEO of the te store (a national chain) with a return receipt requested yet I received no response. I then called the corporate office and spoke with someone who spoke with me briefly but they have never returned my call. Can I sue the store?

Asked on April 23, 2013 under Business Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, at this point the store committed fraud and theft. You need to sue them immediately, report them to every government and non-government agency that regulates or rates them and make sure you have all the evidence to support your case. Keep the receipts, the communications, write a log and show (cell phone, landline records, emails) your communications with this company and name the individuals with whom you spoke.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption