If I signed a business services contract but there has been a material change of the original deal, can I cancel?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a business services contract but there has been a material change of the original deal, can I cancel?

The business agreed to provide me counsel and consulting services. The major draw to the business, and the primary person I dealt with has now cut ties to the business. The business is still operating and the remaining members say they will continue to provide me counsel, but I paid a premium because of the reputation of the original member I signed up with. Can my obligations/covenents mentioned the contract be discharged? Can I take any legal steps to regain, either in full or in part, the one-time payment I made which I believed would entitle me to the ongoing advice of the original member who has now left?

Asked on March 3, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have not yet bought the business service contract that you have written about then you can cancel the contract without recourse due to what you have written about. If you have already paid for the business service contract, then you are obligated under the contract regardless of what has transpired under the laws of all states in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption