What can I do about a breach of contract?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a breach of contract?

I made a contract with an owner of the property and deposited the escrow deposit amount. Due to my religious beliefs now I cancelled the contract and the owner agreed to it. As per the contract we both(owner of the land and myself) were gonna split the contract fee. Now the owner says that he will not pay his part of the contract fee. He says he was fine with a split of the fee for a completed sale but not for a cancellation of the contract. What should I do? Do I have a case against him? The escrow deposit amount is a large amount whereas the contract fee is small. Can I make him pay the contract fee as he agreed to it on the contract?

Asked on October 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult a real estate attorney about this matter.  Whether you can recover "the contract fee" depends on the contract and the circumstances.  This simply cannot be answered without reviewing all the contracts and knowing all the circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption