How can I get a divorce if I’m unemployed so my husband will pay a child support and a spouse support?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a divorce if I’m unemployed so my husband will pay a child support and a spouse support?

He has a job and he’s making pretty good money and I have no job and a kid to support.

Asked on January 22, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.   If you and your husband have decided to split up and divorce, and things are amicable between you, then you can agree on support for you.  Child support is generally governed by statute and a formula used by your state.  There is no negotiation when it comes to child support.  There are many factors, however, when it comes to spousal support that is difficult to determine in this type of forum. If you have been home taking care of your child that is taken in to account. Please seek legal help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption