If someone has placed a mechanic’s lien on a home that I am trying to purchase, canI stillbuy it?

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone has placed a mechanic’s lien on a home that I am trying to purchase, canI stillbuy it?

I’m trying to purchase a house that I’m presently renting.

Asked on February 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The issue of purchasing a home with an existing lien is you don't have clear title.  Title is clouded by an existing lien, so if the person attempts to sell that home, the lien will most likely need to be paid off first before anything else can happen.  You should ensure you obtain a full title search and obtain title insurance during the sale process so that in case anything goes wrong, and the lien is not cleared, you might be able to protect whatever monies you fronted to purchase. Make sure your broker concentrates on ensuring the seller together with the lien holder get the matter cleared during or before the closing process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption